Find out more about IT Service Management Software
What is IT Service Management Software?
IT service management (ITSM) software can be used by companies to plan and deliver reliable IT services to their customers and cater to their various needs. ITSM software enables businesses to implement a process-driven approach to IT management and facilitates continuous improvement. This system also includes a workflow management feature to manage incidents, concerns, and service requests. There is also usually a tool for a configuration management database (CMDB). The chief benefit is ITSM software facilitates easy connection between incidents, problems, and service requests, as well as data from the CMDB. You will be overwhelmed choice as there are more than 100 ITSM apps currently offered by various vendors. Selecting a suitable solution from among them can be a hard task. To help you, we have prepared comprehensive reviews of leading ITSM systems and you can consider Samanage which has received the highest score in the category from our team.
Most Popular IT Service Management Software
Best IT Service Management Software
How To Choose The Best IT Service Management Software
IT Service Management (ITSM) is a general phrase that describes a strategic approach for designing and managing the way information technology (IT) is used within a company. The goal of a good ITSM framework is to ensure that the right people, technology, and processes are in place to enable the company to achieve its online business goals. This buyer’s guide provides pointers on the the list of main aspects to look for in the best IT Service Management software tools for small business and enterprises.
Get to know each product with free trial
Sign up for the free trials and basic unpaid plans of leading vendors to test drive the key features of each system. You need not spend any money and you can identify problems with any system right away. Start by shortlisting and checking out the apps that have received the highest SmartScore and customer satisfaction rating in our Customer Support category and choose the best IT Service Management Software for your company: Jira Service Desk reviews, Zopim, Track-It!, SWAG, Nicereply, and GoToAssist.
Due to their operational capacity, IT Service Management Systems can help a variety of users deliver better service and improve their IT support capacity. These are the profiles of ideal IT service management software buyers:
- Small IT Teams and Businesses without an IT team. Quite often, small companies don’t even have an IT department and face serious technology management difficulties. Purchasing IT service management software is a very effective and much more affordable strategy in their case, as they will be able to deliver well-managed services without paying for a full-time dedicated team.
- Medium and Large Businesses. Both medium and large companies use IT service management systems to improve the quality of their services, but foremost to be able to understand their impact and to evaluate their relationship with most prominent business needs. For them, using such systems is a more predictive and proactive operational model for improving customer relationships and reaffirming their brands.
What are Examples of IT Service Management Software?
- JIRA Service Desk: A prominent IT service management provider used for many popular open source projects. It offers proven efficiency in identifying and tracking bugs, and improves customer relationships.
- Zopim: Interactive chat system that fosters customer loyalty, and offers a suite of advanced chat feature for better communication.
- Pulseway: A popular management and monitoring solution that includes a system agent, and can be easily connected to various remote control systems for improved monitoring.
- Track-It!: A robust set of helpdesk functionalities which manages assets on a single platform, and suits mostly small and mid-size businesses.
- SWAG: Free service that connects businesses and organizations, with the main purpose to connect companies with experts who can assist their business operations.
Types of IT Service Management Software
There are many different types of IT Service Management software, varying from free and basic tool suites to ultra costly and accurate programs. Features can also be categorization criteria, as certain programs do nothing but online tracking bugs, while others are more robust and they allow teams to collaborate, generate reports and store them in a database, and even do some custom branding. Generally speaking, IT service management software can be divided in two categories:
- Customer-facing IT service management systems. These systems offer services that are completely devoted and directly delivered to customers by one or more IT services.
- Beck-office IT service management systems. Back-office IT service management systems support the execution of internal business processes, and serve both the needs of the customers and the corporation.
Key Features of IT Service Management Software
These are the basic features to expect from your next IT service management software:
- Configuration and asset management. This feature helps you gain better visibility on your business operations, and discover data center inventory and manage your assets. At the same time, it maps configurations in a dynamic manner, and performs impact analysis across different systems.
- Incident and problem management. IT service management systems are fully enabled to manage incidents and service requests, and have an extended set of practices to improve the quality of delivered services. They help you plan request authorization, implement changes, and control your service portfolio based on customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge management database documenting common issues/known resolutions. IT service management systems don’t only track current issues and requests, but they store them in a comprehensive database that can be triggered both by customers and interested agents any time in future.
- Dashboards and reports indicating key performance and capacity data. Solid IT management systems are supposed to provide powerful reporting that can help you spot trends, eliminate bottlenecks, and improve the quality of the delivered services.
- Service catalog ensuring tickets are routed to the right subject management expert. One of the ways in which advanced IT service management systems save companies valuable time is that they automate task assignment, and encompass a catalog of services and competent experts to ensure that every task will be assigned to the most competent person in the team.
- Service level agreement (SLA) process. Together with the fact that they manage assets and configurations, IT service management systems cover all generic service level management, and help companies develop specific SLAs for outsourcing contracts in line with basic standards for software qualities.
Benefits of IT Service Management Software
A good ITSM system is supposed to improve the quality of service delivery, and the efficiency of both ITSM and IT operations. These are the benefits companies experience when using a solid IT Service Management System:
- Stronger ITSM foundation. The ITSM software delivers features that you can build on. Apart from basic help desk functionalities, it often offers other ITSM features such as problem management, configuration management, and more.
- Versatile Data Capture. The software is able to receive input from a wide variety of sources. It should facilitate email capture, automated monitoring, end-user self-service, traditional service desk, etc. Plus, you will be able to integrate the system smoothly with the other business apps you use – through pre-built integrations or an API.
- Access to a Vibrant Online Community. Go online and shortlist applications that have a vibrant online community of users. This can help you to get valuable feedback as well as help regarding a specific application.
- Platform Versatility. Both cloud and on-premise systems have their own advantages. Decide upon on one after evaluating your resources. The vendor should allow you to easily change over from cloud to on-premise and vice versa if required.
- Improved Reporting and Visibility. You should be able to generate insightful reports to get better visibility of your business processes. The software should allow you to build the needed reports, alerts, and dashboards.
- Consistency. Though the ITSM software may offer a range of services, it should maintain commonality of use. The user interface should be common and easy to learn across all the ITSM capabilities.
- Intuitive Interface. These applications are most of the time easy to learn and use because of their intuitive interface. The millennial generation is used to such interfaces and the ITSM software certainly doesn’t disappoint them.
- Alignment with Best Practices. The system should be created with the ITIL framework in mind and should support the expansion of ITSM processes in line with industry’s popular best-practice frameworks.
List of IT Service Management Software Companies
Page last modified
FinancesOnline makes us of our special SmartScore™ mode to evaluate all the products in the Customer Support Software category to help you decide on the best possible software. It analyzes the following aspects: core functionalities, collaboration elements, custom elements, available integrations, intuitiveness, help & support, how secure a software is, support for mobile devices, general media ratings. As of now, Freshdesk is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. Following detailed examination it had the best results among its competitors and we strongly suggest that you include it as one of the options for your business.
A summary of the entire user satisfaction with the software in the Customer Support Software category calculated using our unique algorythm that gathers customer reviews, comments and opinions across a broad set of social media sites in order to help you make an educated purchase choice.
Every vendor in the Customer Support Software category will have a different set of pricing packages for its app and every package will include a unique group of tools. Below we list the general pricing for the most affordable plan offered for each product. Please note that advanced features may cost extra.
An overview of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by these B2B services in the Customer Support Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Check what languages and geographies are supported by the best B2B services in the Customer Support Software category, including services designed for international markets and created for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Examine what pricing packages are offered by the vendors in the Customer Support Software category to check which one fits your business requirements and expenses best. Note that some software can support free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
A brief look at which groups of customers a specific B2B software in the Customer Support Software category is designed for, from small businesses and non-profits to big enterprises.